As usual, rather than following a recipe, I started experimenting...
These are the cupcake cases I am planning to use for the Hen's Night to match the colour theme. Is it just me or are they much harder to eat out of than normal cases!
Then to tie some black in, I used scissors to cut up a piece of licorice into little bits. It naturally makes cute little flower shapes!
Anyway, that's my experimentation for now...
The secret ingredient in the cupcake dough is sour cream, and salt. It makes the cupcake super moist, delicious, and not bland like some cupcakes can be. A squirt of lemon juice helps too!
Here's the recipe for the vanilla cupcake:
1/2 cup castor sugar
115 g butter
1 cup self-raising flour
2 tablespoons milk
100gm sour cream
A sqeeze of lemon juice
1 tspn vanilla
1 pinch salt
1. Soften the butter so it's just creamy and opaque, then pull out the electric beater and whip it until it's light coloured.
2. Keep beating as you add the sugar and eggs, sourcream, lemon juice and vanilla.
3. Turn off the beater and stir in the flour and salt with a wooden spoon.
4. Spoon into cupcake cases - fill each one about half way up.
5. Bake at 180 degrees celcius until just cooked and a tiny bit golden.
Vienna Cream (or whipped buttercream) Icing:
For the frosting (icing) I actually used a cream-cheese icing, but it was a little too rich, so I'd recommend this classic butter cream recipe that we always had on birthday cakes!
125 gms butter, softened
1.5 cups icing sugar
2 tbspns milk
vanilla, and lemon juice to flavour
1. Whip the butter with an electric beater until pale and fluffy (it will get much lighter in colour).
2. Add in the other ingredients to get it to the consistency you want, and whip until mixed.
Sharing on the following Link Parties. If you have found me through one of these parties feel free to Follow Me, and I will happily Follow you back!